Wednesday, July 11

Just Another Weekend in the Dominican Republic

This is another post I wrote for our intern blog! No pictures because I didn't want to get my camera soaking wet!


Last weekend was an adventure. We (the interns) had been planning it for weeks, but we still weren’t really sure what to expect. All I knew was that we would be hiking up a mountain in order to jump off some waterfalls on the way back down. I was excited.

At 5am on Saturday morning we took taxis to a random address in Santo Domingo which turned out to be a sort of restaurant/bar. Being gringos, we arrived way before everyone else, wondering if we were really in the right place. While waiting, some of us walked down the street to buy tacos from a stand that for some reason was open at that hour. I can’t say I’ve ever eaten a taco for breakfast before, but at the time it tasted delicious! By the time we walked back a small bus had arrived as well as about a dozen other people going on the excursion with us. I could not wait to get into that bus and fall right asleep for a couple of hours.

Unfortunately, sleeping proved near impossible as soon as our guides started blasting music from the speakers in the bus. I decided to take the opportunity to stare out the windows instead, and got to see some beautiful scenery. We were heading up north to the more mountainous part of the country that I had not seen yet. The lush green hills and valleys were definitely a change from the flat coastline and beaches I was used to seeing near La Romana. Eventually we made it to our destination: the 27 Charcos.

Armed with life jackets and helmets, we started our trek into the woods with our guides. After hiking for a while we came upon our first waterfall where we could jump off a rock into a deep pool. Swimming around in the cold water was such a relief after weeks of Dominican heat! Twenty-six other jumps and slides followed, one of which was tall enough to make most people uncomfortable and some people opted to skip it altogether. There was plenty of time for suspense to build as we squeezed together in a line leading up the cliff to where we would jump. We watched each person before us jump off without really being able to see how high it actually was. Then came the moment of truth as I stepped up to the edge and looked down at the pool below. The guide gave me a countdown and off I went, screaming the whole way down. That one was definitely my favorite!

Doing things like this really makes me marvel at how incredible it is to be here in the Dominican Republic. Before coming here this summer I had no idea that I would be jumping off waterfalls in the middle of the woods, but half the fun is not knowing what to expect. Even though we planned this excursion well in advance, so many things happened that we didn’t plan for. Crazy experiences are around every corner, and I’ve definitely been learning to sit back and take it all in instead of trying to control and prepare for everything. That’s what makes this summer an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment