Tuesday, July 31

La Guagua

Completely romanticized version of my commute to work every day:





More accurate picture (via Google) of my commute to work every day:



The most people I ever rode with was fifteen in one of these! Where I live they're slightly smaller than these pictures so it's normally less than five people at a time. It's always an adventure since the drivers tend to be in a hurry and no one respects traffic laws in this country anyway. In order to let people know where the guagua (Dominican word for bus) is headed, a guy often stands in the doorway (as you can see above) and yells at passers-by to try to convince them to get on. This guy is also the one that keeps track of which passengers have paid. If there is not such a guy on the guagua, sometimes the driver will point towards which direction he's going, or sometimes I just get on and hope for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment