Wednesday, June 6

A Tale of Two Smoothies

This story deserves its own blog post. I clearly take my smoothies very seriously.


It was early. I was at the Jacksonville airport. I had gotten there ahead of time since it was an international flight but not many people were there at 8am Saturday morning, so suffice it to say I had time to kill. I also had a craving. For a smoothie. I knew there was a smoothie place in the airport but decided to go to the gate first to make sure my flight was good to go and maybe check my email. After a bit I started getting hungry and was so excited to finally have my smoothie...


...but the smoothie place was closed. After inwardly fuming a little bit I remembered that Starbucks also sells smoothies! With renewed hope I walked confidently up to the Starbucks and waited in line...


...only to be told that they were out of bananas, without which Starbucks as an entity is incapable of making me a smoothie. I told myself not to worry; I would have a layover in the Miami airport, which was sure to have a smoothie place or at least some bananas in a Starbucks.


My flight from Jacksonville, however, was delayed, so I did not have a second to spare for a smoothie, much less lunch. I safely made it onto the plane, but I was empty-handed. I accepted my smoothieless fate and enjoyed the flight to Santo Domingo by sleeping a lot. Little did I know what wonders the city had in store for me...


...On the way to the hotel from the airport we stopped at the wonderful establishment of Barra Payan, where they sell, you guessed it, smoothies. Delicious smoothies. I ordered mango, and tasted sweet satisfaction as I drank it. I then proceeded to drink two more smoothies in my first twenty-four hours in the Dominican Republic, and all three combined probably cost less than the Starbucks would have. This I can definitely get used to.



No comments:

Post a Comment