Monday, September 12

Segovia

As the title so aptly suggests, I went to Segovia this weekend with our group. For those of you unfamiliar with the intricacies of Spanish geography (don't worry I'm totally with you), Segovia is a town north of Spain famous for its Roman aqueduct and generally being quite old and historical. We went by very slow train and returned by very fast train (compare 2 hours to 20 minutes: a notable difference). I guess since I already spoiled it for you, I'll start with the main attraction:



Yay Roman ingenuity! Seriously though, this is one of the oldest and most impressive landmarks that the Romans left in Spain when they ruled it oh-so-long ago. The stones are not held together by any sort of cement or anything; it is pure engineering at work here. Next we have a shot of the town next to the aqueduct. The aqueduct is really right in the center of everything, which is useful for water distribution I'm sure.


Like other Spanish towns, this one was incredibly picturesque, with blue skies and a nice mountainous backdrop for your viewing pleasure. After marveling at the aqueduct and having a bite to eat, we ventured further into town and came upon the cathedral. We had to pay to get in, which I thought was ridiculous until we actually got in there and it turned out to have some pretty incredible stuff. I didn't get many good pictures inside, but here is one of the courtyard: 


Aside from the cathedral itself with the usual pretty altar and such, they had rooms showcasing paintings, tapestries, and silver. The best part in my opinion, however, was the old hymnal that they had on display near the organ. I'd never seen one so old before, and for some reason this thing was gigantic, like it was made for people twice our size (some sort of prize to whoever can tell me why that is...).  After the cathedral we walked around some more and came upon a castle, which we decided not to go in, but it was still cool to see from the outside. And that's about all we did in Segovia! On Sunday I actually went to the park again and saw more peacocks, a whole army of them really, but I'll spare you the details...let's just say that Facebook will have the evidence soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment